Termination of a campaign finance registration
Once your candidate or your group decides to no longer be involved in state elections, the entity's registration can be terminated. This closes the committee or fund and ends your further involvement with the Board.
Steps to terminate your registration:
- Dispose of any capital assets (computers or equipment of significant value).
- Wait until all deposits and checks have cleared your bank account.
- Reconcile your campaign finance report balance with your bank balance.
If they don't reconcile, contact Board staff.
- If you have more than $100 left, decide what you want to do with it.
See the link at the right for more information on how you can spend the money.
- Make final disbursements and wait until they clear the bank.
Do a final reconciliation of the campaign finance report to the bank statement.
If they do not reconcile, contact Board staff.
If you have more than $100 left, disburse some more money and repeat.
- When your report reconciles with the bank and you have $100 or less left, file a final campaign finance report with the Board, selecting the option to make it a termination report.
Important! If you make contributions to other candidates
If you make contributions to other state candidates (you may not make contributions to local or federal candidates) as part of your termination process, be sure to give each recipient a copy of your Notice of Intent To Terminate. Click the link at the right to get the form.